Regions

US (34) Europe (9) international (9) Latin America (7) Asia (4)

Saturday, July 23, 2011

US Default: Neon Swans

Last year, as a hedge against inflation I bought a moderate position of 10-year US Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS). I have watched the value of these securities go up by more than 10% -- not because of 10% inflation, but because of falling interest rates. I feel tempted to sell them to cash in on the unrealized gain. Perhaps gold would be better as an inflation hedge anyway (though I have read there is no clear correlation), and I can be fairly certain that at some point in the next ten years interest rates will creep up again from their absurdly low present levels, and I will lose my 10% gain if I hold the TIPS to maturity as I originally intended.

Now, with the various branches of the government flailing about in so-far fruitless attempts to raise the debt ceiling and avoid default by August 2, I wonder if it might be a good time to sell. On the other hand, no one else seems to be selling -- yields on US Treasuries do not seem to be rising and falling based on political news about the debt ceiling--the market is sanguine, and it almost seems unpatriotic to sell at this point

Jason Zweig's column in today's Wall Street Journal refers to the possibility of a default or downgrade of US Treasury debt as a neon swan: "an event that is unthinkably rare, immensely important and blindingly obvious", riffing on Nassim Taleb's "Black Swan". He remarks that "many investors seem to be coping with what seems like an obvious risk by simply closing their eyes."

This puts me in mind of the temporary Newt Gingrich-led government shut-down of 1995. I was working in the client administration area of a large international financial institution, which was custodian for a good chunk of US Government Debt held by Japanese institutional investors--billions of dollars worth of T/Notes and T/Bonds. At that time, we used to receive a pile of faxes every day from our customers in Tokyo: inquiries on everything from fee bills to 1 penny rounding differences on multi-million dollar settlements. There was virtually nothing on the looming government shut down which was all over the press, and how it would effect them.

I wish I had kept a journal back then.  As I recall, a day finally did come that we did not get paid interest on some Treasury issues (the operations staff had to manually reverse automatic postings that the system had made) I approached the head Japanese relationship manager, and asked him how we would explain this to the customers. He asked me to draft something. I made a brief write-up, explaining that processing of the payments had been delayed because of the government shut-down, which they had probably read about in the newspaper. The fax went out, the payments were made a couple of days late, and we never heard anything more about it.

There are about $14 trillion of US Treasuries outstanding, and foreign countries hold over $4 trillion, of which China and Japan each hold about $1 trillion (see http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt) . Maybe the market is sanguine because there is so much money involved --the vested interests are so powerful-- that no amount of political in-fighting can change the basic facts. I also suspect that any S&P, Moody's or Fitch downgrade will also be a non-event. Those who hold debt balances in the hundreds of billions will do their own analysis, and make their own decisions, regardless of what a few analysts in an office in Manhattan decide.

Let's hope I'm right.

No comments: